Band takes the stage Tuesday night

Brelyn Bashrum, Guest Contributor

Taking a break from solo and ensemble preparation, band’s is holding its Mid-Winter Concert Tuesday from 7-8 p.m. in the auditorium.

“I’ve been practicing with band and in my sectionals a lot,” junior Olivia Brucker said. “I’m excited to play ‘Redemption,’ because it’s a really lyrical piece, and the bass voices have some really cool counter-melodies and harmonies. When we play it, I just get goosebumps.”

For band students, Tuesday’s concert is an opportunity to showcase their work.

“I’m looking forward to playing music with my friends and just making great sounds,” junior Aniket Matharasi said. “I really like the performances of concert season, because it’s just a really great culmination of all the hard work that we do. It’s great to make other people feel emotions through the music we’re playing.”

The night will be kicked off by a fanfare from Wind Ensemble students in the brass section, followed by performances by the Concert Band, Symphonic Band, ending the night with Symphonic Winds, with some Chamber Ensembles mixed in.

“This is a little untraditional in that the Wind Ensemble is going to be broken up into several different small performing ensembles,” assistant band director Zach Anderson said. “It’s a really great opportunity for the students in Wind Ensemble to perform chamber music, since we’ve really been focused on full orchestra for UIL.”

There will also be a brief performance, following the introductory fanfare, by a percussion ensemble playing the song “Rendezvous”.

“It’s an Afro Cuban piece, which you don’t see very often in a traditional band concert,” senior Charles Maddi said. “It should be a nice change from the norm.”

For junior Cat Stolle, Tuesday’s concert is one of the best times of the year.  

“Preparing for this concert, I’ve been practicing my band music and ‘Rendezvous’,” Stolle said. “My favorite part of concert season is the percussion ensembles; I like playing a lot of notes and performing in a small group in front of people.”