Competing in meets, track season hits its stride

Melody Akbari

Taking off from the starting blocks, works out during Thursday’s track practice. With the girls’ team competing in a meet at Richland High School, the boys’ are practicing for their meet on Saturday at Byron Nelson High School.

Yael Even, Staff Reporter

Although it may not seem like the ideal weather for it, track season is starting to heat up as the girls’ team takes part in the Rebel Track & Field Invitational at Richland High School on Thursday.

“We have a lot of talent and hardworking girls,” girls’ track head coach Amanda Zambiasi said. “As the head coach it is my job to make sure that all athletes have the best workouts and support to help them reach success in their event.”

The boys’ team will be in action Saturday at the Byron Nelson Bobcat Invitational at Byron Nelson High School. Taking part in a tri-meet on Feb. 8, assistant track coach Brandon Gonzales thinks the team’s performance then will pay off later.

“The boys did okay,” Gonzales said. “I think they are going to be more open to workouts now and they didn’t do how they thought they should have done. It was very eye opening and I think it’s going to give us something to work towards.”

With the track season in its early stages, sophomore Andrea Leyva-Montiel is looking forward to the rest of the year.  

“You honestly have the best time,” Leyva-Montiel said. “Track is the most fun sport in my opinion, you really do make friendships that are energetic and fun. All the girls on the team have humor, charisma, and they are just able to express themselves with no shame.”