Shooting for state, 14 wrestlers hit the mat at regional tournament

provided by Savannah West

Dominating against 100 opponents over her high school wrestling career, senior Savannah West will make her way to Frisco High alongside her team for the Texas Ladies’ Classic on Friday and Saturday.

Katharina Santos, Staff Reporter

Just several wins away from state, 14 members of the wrestling team will take to the mat the Friday and Saturday at Independence High School for the 5A Region 2 tournament.

One of the Redhawks top contenders for state is junior Savannah West who enters the tournament ranked as number 1 in state at 110 pounds and a 38 and 2 record. For West, getting ready for the regional meet is all about conditioning.  

“I’m keeping my cardio up to keep my endurance going and practicing specific things that I need to work on,” West said. “I’ve been riding the bike, running long distance, and doing a lot of sprints to prepare.”

For junior Diego Lorenso, in his first year on the wrestling team, making it to the state finals has been something to look forward to all season.

“I’ve literally been dreaming about this moment for almost a year now,” Lorenso said. “I quit basketball and I set a goal for myself to make it to state in wrestling, and now that it’s almost here, I’m very excited.”

Beyond the competition the wrestlers will face Friday and Saturday, the wrestlers need to say in the moment rather than look ahead at the state competition that is one tournament alway.

“My coach gets onto me about [looking ahead] and because I focus on too many things at once,” junior Jordan Johnston said. “I’m just going to focus on one match a time and stay focused on the moment.”

Meanwhile West anticipates making her way to state.

“I won districts, so I’m pretty confident in myself,” West said. “I firmly believe that I can win regionals and clinch a seat in the state tournament.”