Swimmers hope to make championship splash in Austin

Julia Savage

Julia Savage, WTV Staff Reporter

The boys’ and girls’ swim teams are in Austin for the state swim meet.  

Practicing since the start of the school year, the boys and girls swim teams will be chasing championships all day today and tomorrow

For the boys team attending state is something to be expected but for the girls team this is the first opportunity for them since 2012.

“So the girls haven’t made it in six years and it’s really cool that I’m a senior and get to go,” swimmer Julia Cole said. “I’ve just watched the boys get to go like my freshman through junior year so I’m really excited that I get to bring some freshman and like I get to go my senior year and it’s really, it’s a big moment.”

Although the boys team attended state last year, one member on the team was not able to show off his skills

It’s very relieving to make state this year because I didn’t make it last year because of a sickness,” senior Jiwoo Oh said. “I’m really excited but also nervous. My goals for state is winning the 100 breast and getting first and also winning a relay.”

Not only is the team excited for state but the girls team in particular is excited at the possibility of beating past records.

“The girls really deserve it, they’ve worked so hard this year and they deserve all the recognition they can get and I know they are really excited,” coach Emily Nightingale “They are .14 seconds away from breaking our record from 2012 so we are ready to go and ready to get in there and be one of the top teams in the state. “