Another win, another step closer to state

Neha Perumalla

Walking off with a 45-42 win, the girls’ basketball team shakes hands with players from The Colony High School after their third round playoff game on Tuesday, Feb. 20, 2018 at Lovejoy High School.

Kasey Harvey, Sports Editor

Win two more games and the girls’ basketball team will advance to the state semifinals for the second time in three years after the Redhawks held on to defeat The Colony 45-42 on Tuesday night at Lovejoy High School.

“We were a little off,” head girls’ basketball coach Ross Reedy said. “We were a little out of sync. As a result it really made us grind for four quarters. Anytime you could not be at your best and still be successful and make plays when necessary. Seeing them be able to persevere through the struggle was a cool thing.”

Trailing by three points entering the fourth quarter, the Redhawks outscored the Cougars 14-9 to escape with the win.

“We def did not play our best game last night but the good thing was that we were still able to win it,” junior Mara Casey said. “It wasn’t great but we got everything done.”