• Summer vacation June 4-August 15

• First day of school is Thursday, August 16

Sincerely Sydney: Small friend groups have big impacts

In+her+weekly+column%2C+staff+reporter+Sydney+Gish+provides+her+take+on+high+school+life.+
In her weekly column, staff reporter Sydney Gish provides her take on high school life.

Perry Mellone

Perry Mellone

Sydney Gish, Staff Reporter

These days it seems like it’s better to have a huge group of friends and to know a lot of people rather than having those few close friends. It all depends on the person, however there are perks to keeping your friendship group small.

There are those people you’re always going to see on social media or in everyday life who have this huge following. Those people who have over 50 people at their birthday party and it seems like they’re always hanging out with someone new. It’s hard not to envy that person, but it really is about quality over quantity.

I was the type of person who loved having lots of friends and I still do. However it was necessary for me to make my circle smaller. When I was in a group with people I realized that it was not worth it because of the way they presented themselves and the way they treated me. It was toxic, but because I had friends from so many different groups it was easier for me to see who is actually a good person versus those who still had some growing up to do. Now I have a smaller circle and it’s a lot better knowing these are the people I can be completely myself around without wondering if they’ll truly like me or not.

With a small group or even just a few friends it’s easier to have conversation and you never wonder what your role is and you’ll always feel wanted. It’s also easier when you’re really close with a couple people and they already know your deep secrets, pet peeves, and all the little things like that.

Social media also influences this idea that having more friends is better because not only do you see celebrities, but also people who you go to school with and it can seem like if you only have a few friends then you’re not as likeable. But those pictures that you see is not always how it is. There’s always more behind a picture and you wouldn’t know if some of those people were actually fighting or if someone was getting left out due to the fact that there would be so many conversations going on.

Most of the time those people with a lot of “friends” are superficial relationships and they don’t have what real friendships do. It’s okay to only have a couple or a few friends, because with those people it’s an actual bond.

Sincerely,

Sydney

Sydney Gish, Staff Reporter
Sydney Gish is a junior and in her 2nd year of Wingspan. She is a member of FCCLA, Key Club, NAHS, the Raven and Best Buddies. In her free time she is either volunteering for Hope’s Door or the Red Cross and enjoys painting, reading and writing. Contact Sydney: [email protected]