Spring break blues

Perry Mellone

Frisco ISD is switching to a standards-based grading system. While the main purpose of this grading system is for student’s grades to represent what level of mastery they are at, for geometry teacher Kristen Tatum, this is a chance to provide learning opportunities for students.

Olivia Howard, Guest Contributor

Spring break is just days away and for some students that could be a time to put in less effort, but many teachers on campus are prepared to help their students finish the week strong.

Hillary Green-Lerman analyzed the drop in students test scores between different time spans of breaks within the school year and noticed students tend to perform worse on tests right before a break.

On campus, teachers do their best to combat this possibility.

“I try to keep students engaged with the curriculum,” biology teacher Christina Chong said. “We are currently learning about viruses, which I think that most students find interesting.”

Some teachers continue class curriculum after the break or have the it finish by the time  break approaches.

“By spring break, it will be the middle of the current unit for Algebra 1,” teacher Lanae Rainey said. “I like to test the week before break to capture the students knowledge before the long awaited break.”

While some students around campus consider it difficult to stay focused in class in the days before a break, freshman Jia Kanar tries to keep on top of things.

“I’m trying to be consistent with my work level throughout the whole year,” Kanar said. “I try to study a couple of nights before for assignments, rather than waiting until the night before.”