Running and jumping into spring break

Making her approach at the 2017 district meet, then sophomore Nissi Kabongo gets ready to attempt the high jump at Memorial Stadiium on April 13, 2017.

Mady Daddario

Kasey Harvey, Sports Editor

Track embarks on its third meet of the year in Thursday’s Warrior Relays at Arlington Martin High School. But while most students are looking forward to spring break which starts Monday, the boys’ track team will be working out during the week off from school. 

“Spring break for us is going to be a little bit different than the girls because we will still be practicing throughout the week because we have a meet next Friday,” boys’ track head coach Chip Gregory said. “More than anything, some of these guys that have been dealing with some injuries will be coming back. It’ll be a good thing for us just to get some times. Kind of figure out where everyone is in the season with district coming up in four weeks. Just figure out exactly where we need to finish the season out in order to be successful.”

Senior Christian Palmer is coming back from two bone bruises, but is prepared to make this his best season yet.

“I’m expecting since it’s my senior to just put out my best performances that I’ve had throughout high school,” Palmer said. “Add up all the training that I’ve had and to really present that throughout the season and how I do and how I perform.”

With rain and cold temperatures preventing the track teams from working outside, junior Nissi Kabongo hopes for more consistent conditions as winter turns to spring.

“Weather has affected my 800 and high jump right now since we haven’t been going outside as much as we need to,” Kabongo said. “The only thing I’m worrying about is the weather continuing to affect the training schedule because in the beginning, in January and February, it definitely interfered with how often we’ve went outside. I’m not letting it deter me from any way of setting my goals.”

Kasey Harvey is a junior and is starting her third year of Wingspan with this being her first as editor-in-chief. She enjoys finding local hotspots whether...