• Taylor Swift ticket giveaway: tweet @libertywingspan using #taylorswifttickets

• Campus Club Fair Tuesday

• End of 1st 6 week grading period is Friday

• Board of Trustees calls for TRE and Bond Election to be on Nov. ballot

Mraz selected as teacher of the year

Surprised during a class, social studies teacher David Mraz received his teacher of the year certificate as assistant principals Phil Brown and Stacey Whaling, along with principal Ashley Rainwater applaud.

Keegan Williams, Editor-in-Chief

The annual teacher of the year competition has come to a close once again, with this year’s winner being resource social studies teacher David Mraz.

“It’s huge, actually I’m still kind of processing it, I didn’t think I would win something like this but it’s a great feeling,” Mraz said. “It was an absolute surprise, we found out that we were nominated last week and all the teachers here are so great but I didn’t think I would win.”

While the school holds its own competition every year, this time, the district came up with a criteria to use in all schools.

“The district this year has started the teacher of the year program and through it teachers were asked to nominate teachers on their campus,” principal Ashley Rainwater said. “ And during the process, they were asked to write about different teaches philosophy to education and how they stay apart of trends in education, so all these things were taken into consideration.”

Mraz’s job is not like others on campus, being a resource teacher, he is required to be able to teach all history subject to his students.

“He works very closely with social studies, he plans with the U.S. history team and the world history team,” social studies team lead Jeff Crowe said. “He does have to be a jack of all trades and he’s a great teammate and he’s a great collaborator and most importantly he’s a great advocate for the kids.”

Mraz uses his love for teaching to fuel his desire to make sure he’s doing the best he can.

“I’ve been teaching for about five years, it’s just something I’m passionate about, I always knew it was something I wanted to do and I love working with kids and making a difference.”

Keegan Williams, Editor-in-Chief
Keegan ‘KEEG$’ Williams, is a senior and Editor-in-Chief for Wingspan. She likes to partake in many activities such as watching Youtube and talking loudly. She also enjoys juggling, playing with her black lab, and pretending she can rap. KEEG$ is never seen without a water bottle, and loves hanging out with friends. KEEG$ is an icon throughout...
1 Comment

One Response to “Mraz selected as teacher of the year”

1. Juanita Clark on March 9th, 2018 8:41 pm

Congratulations! Amazing. Mr. Mraz special individual. As a parent with a student in freshman he goes above and beyond. Thank you for all that you do.

• Mraz selected as teacher of the year

Community giving event provides exposure for local nonprofits

• Mraz selected as teacher of the year

Senior’s ISM paper being presented at international conference

• Mraz selected as teacher of the year

Parent’s follow in the footstep of students

• Mraz selected as teacher of the year

Mimicking students, parents Meet the Teacher Monday night

• Mraz selected as teacher of the year

American Legion brings voter registration drive to campus

• Mraz selected as teacher of the year

College Fair attracts hundreds of students from across the district

• Mraz selected as teacher of the year

Dozens of schools on campus Wednesday for FISD College Fair

• Mraz selected as teacher of the year

Board discusses STOPit, enrollment increases at monthly meeting

• Mraz selected as teacher of the year

Board of Trustees holding monthly meeting Monday

• Mraz selected as teacher of the year

Flu beats the arrival of fall

Mraz selected as teacher of the year