• Summer vacation June 4-August 15

• First day of school is Thursday, August 16

Mraz selected as teacher of the year

Surprised during a class, social studies teacher David Mraz received his teacher of the year certificate as assistant principals Phil Brown and Stacey Whaling, along with principal Ashley Rainwater applaud.

Keegan Williams, Editor-in-Chief

The annual teacher of the year competition has come to a close once again, with this year’s winner being resource social studies teacher David Mraz.

“It’s huge, actually I’m still kind of processing it, I didn’t think I would win something like this but it’s a great feeling,” Mraz said. “It was an absolute surprise, we found out that we were nominated last week and all the teachers here are so great but I didn’t think I would win.”

While the school holds its own competition every year, this time, the district came up with a criteria to use in all schools.

“The district this year has started the teacher of the year program and through it teachers were asked to nominate teachers on their campus,” principal Ashley Rainwater said. “ And during the process, they were asked to write about different teaches philosophy to education and how they stay apart of trends in education, so all these things were taken into consideration.”

Mraz’s job is not like others on campus, being a resource teacher, he is required to be able to teach all history subject to his students.

“He works very closely with social studies, he plans with the U.S. history team and the world history team,” social studies team lead Jeff Crowe said. “He does have to be a jack of all trades and he’s a great teammate and he’s a great collaborator and most importantly he’s a great advocate for the kids.”

Mraz uses his love for teaching to fuel his desire to make sure he’s doing the best he can.

“I’ve been teaching for about five years, it’s just something I’m passionate about, I always knew it was something I wanted to do and I love working with kids and making a difference.”

Keegan Williams, Editor-in-Chief
Keegan ‘KEEG$’ Williams, is a senior and Editor-in-Chief for Wingspan. She likes to partake in many activities such as watching Youtube and talking loudly. She also enjoys juggling, playing with her black lab, and pretending she can rap. KEEG$ is never seen without a water bottle, and loves hanging out with friends. KEEG$ is an icon throughout...
1 Comment

One Response to “Mraz selected as teacher of the year”

1. Juanita Clark on March 9th, 2018 8:41 pm

Congratulations! Amazing. Mr. Mraz special individual. As a parent with a student in freshman he goes above and beyond. Thank you for all that you do.

[Reply]

• Mraz selected as teacher of the year

Class of 2018 flies out of the nest Saturday

• Mraz selected as teacher of the year

School JWAC chapter gets two on the 20 under 20 list

• Mraz selected as teacher of the year

America’s fastest growing city

• Mraz selected as teacher of the year

Juniors looking ahead to next year

• Mraz selected as teacher of the year

Recycled materials help solve veteran housing crisis

• Mraz selected as teacher of the year

Yearbook pick up continues

• Mraz selected as teacher of the year

Finishing first can pay off for valedictorians

• Mraz selected as teacher of the year

Senior captures UIL state title

• Mraz selected as teacher of the year

FEF to award thousands in scholarships

• Mraz selected as teacher of the year

Seniors leave the nest with breakfast

Mraz selected as teacher of the year