Scoliosis screening

Victoria Gong

Marisa Uddin, Special Projects Producer

Scoliosis screening for freshmen students is on Thursday and Friday this week.

Defined as the curvature of the spine, scoliosis comes in different levels of severity with students usually getting screened twice in their academic career: in sixth and ninth grade.

Although some students may be unfamiliar or anxious about the screening process, it is necessary to catch early signs of Scoliosis.

“So the process that we’re going to do is that boys and girls will be screened separately and individually and by a trained screening,” nurse Emily Mikeska said. “They will be asked to remove their shirts because we naturally need to see their shoulders and hips. I think everyone is nervous for us to look at them, but even if we do find something it’s usually very minor. But, it’s best to check to notify their doctor.”

Scoliosis screening can greatly reduce the risk of long term effects if treated immediately.

Senior Brandon Acosta shares his own experience with scoliosis.

“My curvature was, let’s just say, bad. It was more than 40 degrees,” senior Brandon Acosta said. “At first, I wore a brace at night but it didn’t really do anything. The doctor then told me I needed surgery, but first I had to grow. So, that was why it took so long to get the surgery. You have to check. It takes, what, like 5 minutes of your life. If you had the kind of scoliosis that I did, it’s only going to get worse.”

I’m Marisa Uddin reporting for WTV.