Matches made in Best Buddies

In its second year on campus, Best Buddies is devoted to establishing one to one friendships between students with and without intellectual and developmental disabilities on campus through matching students and hosting events.

Dea Divi, Guest Contributor

The matches are in for the Best Buddies program which seeks to promote relationships between students that might not get to know each other otherwise.

“The matching party went fantastic and was as perfect as an event could be,” Best Buddies President Rylee McHenry said. “We were extremely prepared, got a ton of support and help by associate volunteers, and it seemed that all of our new matches were very excited for who they were matched with. But most importantly, the buddies had a great time, and that is why we are here; even if everything goes wrong and falls apart,thankfully it didn’t, but the buddies had a good time, our event was successful.”

Now that members have been matched up, they are expected to the things that they would do with their other friends. They have to call and text each other and keep a healthy and long lasting relationship.

For McHenry, it’s been a learning experience.

“It’s really just taught me that everyone different,” McHenry said. “You should not exclude people because of their differences you should accept people with their differences and let that better your friendship.”