EOC testing begins Tuesday

Keegan Williams

Testing for EOC’s begin Monday with English I and Wednesday with English II.

Olivia Howard, Guest Contributor

With STAAR EOC tests beginning Tuesday with English 1, many core teachers on campus are doing what they can to help students students prepare.

“All year long you are teaching the concepts,” Algebra 1 teacher Lanae Rainey said. “Trying to tie them all together, and then right before you are focusing more on test taking strategies such as using the time given correctly and how to stay focused.”

One component of a teacher’s job is to teach their students the material the test will cover, but teachers also hope to establish confidence within their students as well.

“Helping students to feel confident in the overall aspect of the test going in is difficult,” English teacher Lindsay Pfiffner said. “But through preparing and reviewing right up to the test are ways to help. We also want to encourage students but also want to effectively challenge them.”

For freshman such as Bailey Johnson, the upcoming STAAR exams present something of an unknown factor.

“Some teachers have definitely done better than others by reviewing us right up till the testing dates and allowing us to ask them questions,” freshmen Bailey Johnson said. “But over the year I have grown more confident with what we have learned and how I will apply it.”