StuCo hoping small change adds up to big bucks

Wade Glover

Election season is kicking off in Student Council as sponsor Julie Anderson will help narrow down the number of candidates. In the coming weeks the final candidates will begin campaigning for votes in the school-wide election.

Keegan Williams, Editor-in-chief

Student Council is hoping loose coins will make big bucks as they collect spare change for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Members can be found outside in the carpool line in the morning or at lunches through Friday collecting for LLS.

“LLS is a great organization to support,” junior Austin Midner said. “And as a Student Council we wanted to do something that would bring the whole school together in a way that would help kids throughout our community who are struggling.”

Leukemia is cancer of the bone marrow and blood, and Lymphoma is cancer in the lymph nodes and other tissues. As there are no means of preventing or early screening for most blood cancers, the LLS research agenda is focused on finding cures.

“It’s important to help and donate to LLS because treatment for Leukemia and Lymphoma, as well as all the research going into finding a cure is very expensive,” Widner said. “So we want people to help with the hopes that the funds we raise result in big steps in the process.”