Centuries later, familiar themes still remain true

Amelia Pirrello

Entering their last unit, English 1 classes dive into the classic, Romeo and Juliet. “We’re just working on a dialectical journal which is kind of just jotting down your thoughts and feelings about it and preparing questions for the seminar,” English teacher Shelby Neary said.

Olivia Howard, Guest Contributer

More than 420 years after it was written, William Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet remains a fixture in English 1 classes on campus.

“This is a great introduction to Shakespeare’s work,” English 1 teacher Carla Falik said. “Since the main characters are the same age as most ninth grade students. Also the content within the play in some ways continue to take place today, although maybe not to this extreme. It has action, romance and feuding families which I think holds students attention.”

For Mihika Sharma, reading Shakespeare will not be like other books typically read such as To Kill A Mockingbird.

“The language will be different than anything I’m used to,” English 1 student Mihika Sharma said. “I feel like it’s going to be more challenging and harder to interpret.”

From the language used to the style of writing, Shakespeare’s work can be demanding for some freshmen.

“This is a great opportunity for students,” English 1 student Medha Gupta said . “It will definitely help us in the future, even though it is going to be a challenging task.”