Frisco residents to cast their ballots Saturday

Riley Franzke

Parker Butler, Staff Reporter

Municipal election day is Saturday for Frisco residents and all residents zoned for Frisco ISD with the polls open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Voters who registered before April 5 are eligible to cast their ballots with a map of polling locations found here, with the closest one to campus being the Fire Station #8 on Rolater Road.

For Frisco’s six-seat city council, two seats are up for election this time around. In Place 1, the three candidates are K.D. Warach, Jason Money, and John Keating.

Warach, a professional engineer and construction management expert, has vowed to fix traffic congestion and to fight for fair, progressive taxation. A member of the Project Management Institute, he has highlighted the need for responsible planning in the wake of Frisco’s rapid growth.

Money is an entrepreneur who has stressed the importance of tightening the relationship between the city of Frisco and Frisco ISD. Further, he talks about the need to reform Frisco’s retail reliance, and advocates reinventing Stonebriar mall to avoid the nationwide trend of declining shopping malls.

Keating, who ran unsuccessfully for a Texas state house seat in 2016, is a decorated veteran who previously served on Frisco’s city council. Low taxation and a healthy business climate are key aspects of his platform.

Place 3 is the other city council seat up for grabs, with two candidates vying for it: Will Sowell and Dave Bowsher.

Sowell, a self-described conservative and former city council member, has advocated for lower property taxes and public-private partnerships such as the Ford Center at The Star.

Bowsher touts the need for election reform on his website, advocating for expedited voter registration for new residents, changing election day to align with state and federal elections, and inclusivity in an increasingly diverse city. Like Sowell, he advocates for lower taxes and responsible future planning.

On the school board side, two of seven seats are up for election, with only one seat being contested by more than one candidate.

Place 6 is going uncontested, with incumbent John Classe headed for a second term.

Place 7 is a heavily contested race between SMU admissions and marketing director René Archambault and realtor Linda McConnell.

Archambault is a firm supporter of holding a new TRE (tax ratification election) that would allow the district to move funding towards staffing teachers and funding schools, in the wake of the 2016 TRE’s failure and the subsequent budget shortfall that the district faced.

McConnell, on the other hand, has made criticism of the district’s budgeting a hallmark of her platform, claiming that excess surpluses have been misused and repeatedly bashed what she calls the city’s “overtaxation”.