• Gary Burns 5K & Fun Run is Oct. 27 at Toyota Stadium

• Board of Trustees calls for TRE and Bond Election to be on Nov. ballot

Summer school registration opens

Although+school+is+ending+on+June+1%2C+some+students+opt+for+summer+school+to+earn+credits+for+certain+classes.+
Although school is ending on June 1, some students opt for summer school to earn credits for certain classes.

screenshot from FISD website

screenshot from FISD website

Kirthi Injeti, Guest Contributor

As students embark on the final weeks of the school year, some of them are also preparing to enroll in classes over the summer to get credits for classes such as speech, medical terminology, and BIM which can provide students with certain benefits.

“The advantages include being able to take prereqs to take another class you want to take,” counselor Ryan Kiefer said. “Also, it can open up spots during the school year to take more classes. I would advise students to talk with their counselor about their plans, whether it is summer school or not, so they can receive the best advice and information possible before making a decision.”

But unlike most classes taken during the school year, there’s no in-person teacher at summer school. However, Kiefer hopes that students keep in my mind the extra work they will have to put in for summer classes.

“Since summer school is online, these classes are sort of self taught,” Kiefer said. “The level of instruction is not as rigorous.”

Counselor Staci Stokes encourages students and parents to be aware of certain things before registering.

“I would emphasize that students and parents do their research about the registration process so as not to miss any important steps,” Stokes said. “All students and parents should visit the FISD Summer School webpage and read the information thoroughly in order to be prepared for the process.”

Secondary summer school principal Dana Racanelli receives many questions about the registration process and addressed some of the more commonly asked questions:

Do I have to wait to until July 23 and 24 to take my final?

Racanelli: “No, it can be taken as soon as the coursework is complete.”

Do I have to come to campus?

Racanelli: “Yes, all finals must be taken on campus. Courses taken for credit recovery has a pre-assessment that needs to be taken on June 12 or 13.”

Where do I go to take my final?

Racanelli: “You can go to either WHS or IHS.  Both schools are open to all students.”

Does Communication Applications fulfill the speech requirement? And do I have to do a speech?

Racanelli: “Yes, it is your speech credit.  No, you will not have to complete a speech.”

Can I complete one course by June 28th and take the final?

Racanelli: “It really depends on how dedicated you are to your work.”

How much does summer school cost?

Racanelli: “$300 per semester course.”

So does that mean Med Term and BIM will cost $600?

Racanelli: “Yes.”