Weeks of fasting begins for some

Vinanti Vemulapalli

Vinanti Vemulapalli, WTV Staff Reporter

Ramadan is an Islamic holy month in which Muslims fast and refrain from eating and drinking during daylight hoursMuslims across the world take part in the holy month of fasting and it is a time for spiritual reflection, acts of charity and spending time with loved ones.

However, for Muslim students on campus, it can be difficult to manage as students are unable to drink water or eat anything even if they have a test.

“Honestly, the worst part is probably when your stomach growls in class and you can’t eat anything because your fasting,” freshman Ariana Khan said. “It also messes up your sleep schedule because you’re supposed to wake up before sunrise, eat and go back to sleep but it’s kinda hard when you have to wake up at 7 or 8. Lunch isn’t that bad but a lot of people think it’s disrespectful to eat in front of someone who’s fasting. I’m a freshman so i only have one ap test which is HGAP so i wont fast that day but a lot of people have many tests and if you miss a fast you have to make it up. Ramadan varies between every person but I’m a Bengali so I wake up in the middle of the night before sunrise and you eat a meal and you go back to sleep and at sunset you break your fast. But lately it hasn’t been during school this is the first year it’s been during school.”

However, sophomore Yousef Lozon shares that fasting teaches self control and the virtue of patience.

“Well Ramadan helps with time management in school and self control an patience and patience is virtue and it helps you gauge the fact that many people don’t have the same blessing as you or as much food as you,” Lozon said. “It can help you be kinder and more courteous. It teaches you a valuable lesson and it helps you be a better person through your self control and it helps you reflect on what you need to do as a person and it gets you with your community too.”