Rising freshmen ready to take flight

As+the+2017-2018+school+year+ends+and+the+senior+class+graduates%2C+8th+graders+from+feeder+schools+are+preparing+to+enter+high+school+for+the+first+time.+

Perry Mellone

As the 2017-2018 school year ends and the senior class graduates, 8th graders from feeder schools are preparing to enter high school for the first time.

Kirthi Injeti, Guest Contributor

As the 2017-2018 school year comes to a close, incoming freshmen for the 2018-2019 school year are anticipating and preparing for their first year as high schoolers.

“It’s a lot bigger and there’s more people, so it’ll be difficult and kind of hard to navigate, and there’s only a short passing period yet there’s two floors so it’s gonna be kinda confusing,” Fowler eighth grader Eden Brim said. “It’s also going to be hard trying to fit back in and adjust to a new crowd and people since all the middle schools are combining into one. It’s also going to be difficult adjusting from being at the top of the school to the bottom again.”

While going to high school comes with many concerns and new uncertainties there are also things to look forward to.  

“I’m really excited to experience high school classes and be able to have more independence and freedom,” Fowler eighth grader Madison Saviano said. “I’m looking forward to having more control over my course decisions and being able to explore new classes and opportunities that will get me ready for the real world.”    

Almost through with the first year of high school, freshman Sydney Lefkof says the key to a successful ninth grade year is to take it seriously.

“I know everybody says don’t slack off freshman year, but they actually mean it,” freshman Sydney Lefkof said. “Do your homework, study, it’s imperative because if you don’t then it’s all going to go downhill very quickly. You may think that high school to middle school isn’t that big of a deal, but it really is. High school from middle school is a big jump so you don’t want to start going downhill fast.”