Inclement weather moves Trunk or Treat indoors

Since the field house cannot hold the about 75 car trunks signed up, clubs will use tables to give out candy for Trunk or Treat.

Henry Youtt, Managing Editor

FISD administration made the decision on Tuesday to shift all district football games originally scheduled for this Friday to Thursday in an attempt to avoid the scheduling issues posed by inclement weather. The rescheduling of the game led Trunk or Treat to be moved from Thursday to Friday from 6 to 8 p.m. in the field house, prompting mixed responses from students and faculty.

“From the district standpoint, I think number one last week scared us a little bit with all the storms that rolled in,” principal Scott Warstler said. “Looking at the forecast, they feel pretty certain that there will be heavy rains and possibly some storms, so we are looking at delays or possibly cancellations that would move everything up.”

With the decision to move the football games made at the district level, the school had to independently manage the alteration of campus’ events.

“They just inform us and we have to pick up the pieces,” Warstler said. “So then, it’s just getting together with everybody, coaches, and sponsors and saying, ‘Here is what we have. What do we do? How are we going to make the best of this?’”

Since moving the game to Thursday night conflicted with the Trunk or Treat event which was scheduled for that night, Warstler alongside his fellow administrators and other concerned faculty decided to push Trunk or Treat to Friday despite the predicted inclement weather.

“Of course, with Trunk or Treat being such a big event, we didn’t want to cancel that,” Warstler said. “We know it’s going to be raining, [but] it’s become a good thing for our community and for the little kids and for so many groups and teams that want to sponsorwe didn’t want to get rid of that.”

Senior night, an event to recognize students active in football season programs, was originally scheduled for this Friday night. While the senior cheerleaders and football players will still be recognized at the Thursday night game, seniors in band and Red Rhythm will be recognized at next Friday’s game.
“Many of us are actually glad that it got moved,” senior band member Fernanda Borja said. “It makes it feel like our marching season is slightly longer and that some of the memories aren’t over as soon as we thought. We are still happy to go support the football team any day of the week.”