Filed under A&E, Reviews

Review: Slurp worthy bowl of heaven

Review: Slurp worthy bowl of heaven

Walking into Ramen Hakata, customers find a clean space but what really stands out about the restaurant on Gaylord Parkway is the namesake ramen which features marinated pork belly, a perfectly soft boiled egg, and noodles flown in from California every day.

Davis O'Brien

Davis O'Brien

Davis O'Brien

Ramen, typically recognized as a cheap meal option for college students, gets a serious upgrade at Ramen Hakata. This isn’t your $.39 package of ramen, this is a slurp worthy bowl of heaven.

Upon walking in, you’re greeted by a friendly hostess who shows you where to sit. The restaurant itself is very clean with several booths on the sides and tables and chairs in the middle. The kitchen is also visible from the booths and tables.

And the kitchen is where the magic happens. It all starts with the pork based broth. Prepared over the course of 12 hours, the broth is perfection and is the backbone of the ramen. Another standout of the ramen dishes is the least likely suspect: the soft boiled egg. Typically not a fan of eggs, these are so good, an extra one if often ordered.

The standout dish is the hakata ramen. Featuring chashu (pork belly), which is marinated for five hours in soy, along with noodles flown in from California, and that wonderful egg, the hakata ramen is an all-time favorite. It’s the first thing ever ordered there and often the go-to dish of the day.

Another appealing aspect of Ramen Hakata are the prices. Regular bowls start at $9 and can be enough for two people.

People that have tried ramen in a restaurant don’t need to shy away from this place. The servers are patient and knowledgeable. First discovered on Yelp, Ramen Hakata is what you wish that $.39 package of ramen was.  

Prachurjya Shreya, Managing Editor

Shreya is a senior and this is her fourth year in wingspan. As a senior, she finds almost everyone annoying and hates when underclassmen accidentally touch...