• Redhawks UIL Science takes 1st place as a team at state
  • Advisory is closed for the final three weeks of school

Wingspan’s featured athlete for 5/9 is varsity football player, sophomore Connor Johnson.
Featured Athlete: Connor Johnson
Neta Even, Guest Contributor

Wingspan: What position do you play in football? Johnson:...

Wingspan’s featured athlete for 5/2 is varsity baseball player, sophomore Nathan Wixon.
Featured Athlete: Nathan Wixon
Neta Even, Guest Contributer

Wingspan: What is your favorite part about playing...

May 17 Daily Update
May 17 Daily Update
Karina Grokhovskaya, WTV Executive Producer • May 17, 2024

WTV's Ryan Shapiro, Karina Grokhovskaya, and Sadie Johnson bring you a few last words

Band visual camp seeks to welcome incoming freshman

David Wang
Three visual camps are being held in April by the Band Leadership Team which will teach incoming freshmen how to march and help older members can refresh their memory on the material.

Before the band starts marching season and band camps in the summer, there are three visual camps in April when the Band Leadership Team teaches incoming freshmen how to march and older members can refresh their memory on the material; allowing new members to be introduced and welcomed to the high school band.
The visual camps are split into small groups or squads so BLT can individually help members, allowing freshmen and current members to refine their skills for next season’s marching show.
“Firstly, visual camps are so important for incoming freshmen because it gives them this first look at what marching band is, how it operates, and it also gives the directors a chance to evaluate who has the potential to get a spot [in the marching show] so they can organize the drill accordingly,” sophomore drum major Kimaya Joshi said. “It’s also so important that our first two visual camps are just incoming freshmen, some sophomores, and BLT because it allows us to build connections with the younger members, so it becomes a smaller group, making the camps more interpersonal.”

Transitioning from middle school band to high school marching band can be intimidating. However, with the help from BLT and older members, incoming freshmen feel welcomed and prepared for the upcoming season.
“At first I was super nervous about entering the marching band,” rising freshman Dhitika Dubey said. “But after the first few camps and getting introduced into the program, I’m ready and excited for marching season.”
According to junior squad leader Dermot Chester, being in a high school band brings new friendships and togetherness within the band community.
“[Some of the most important things to teach incoming freshmen is] that they’re not alone. Many people have the misconception that high school’s this big, scary place, that there’s going to be bullies – not so much – Disney gives you the wrong idea,” Chester said. “As soon as you get into band, you’re going to have so many more friends [and] people around you, that it’s going to be crazy. Personally, my entire section has basically become like a sort of pseudo family to me. I love them all to death, they’re great people. Even if we bicker, we can get over everything. We’re truly a family.”
When teaching rising freshmen, BLT members put themselves in their shoes to remember what it was like being new to marching.

“To be able to introduce the material, you have to remember the days when you were an incoming freshman,” Chester said. “Everyone has had their awkward points; whether you’ve made varsity or JV [in] your first year, everyone has had a rough start. Being able to go back to that understanding is how we are able to first introduce the material to them. Then to teach them further, we just have to remain kind, reprimand understanding, and be open to suggestions and criticism about our teaching from our students.”

According to Joshi, making good friends, having a balanced band-school life, and working hard no matter what is the key to success in high school band.

“In regards to marching drill, it’s important to just do your best effort no matter how tired you feel,” Joshi said. “In the end, all the work pays off and if you’re resilient and hardworking, it just creates a better experience for everyone involved. It’s also super important that you surround yourself with good people who lift you up and help you get better.”