Band and orchestra members take their talents to Chicago

Region Orchestra auditions are beginning for many orchestra students in the district and outside of the district.

Eun Jae Kim, Guest Contributor

As the students are well into the school year, orchestra students are getting prepared for their Midwest concert that will take place in Chicago on Dec. 9. The concert will take place in the McCormick Place Convention Center.

“Midwest is an international band and orchestra convention where orchestra directors and band directors from all over the world convene in Chicago for concerts and clinics ranging from how to teach beginners to picking literature, et cetera and so forth,” orchestra director Julie Blackstock said. “Our portion of Midwest is the concert portion.”

In order to be chosen for this event, last year’s orchestra submitted a recording, which was then compared with numerous other orchestras from all around the globe.

The orchestra students, along with Blackstock, are all working to perfect all the pieces in their concert repertoire and to make sure that they do their very best on the day of the concert.

“We began rehearsals before school began,” Blackstock said. “Kids had music in the summer, and we started with rigorous sectionals and rehearsal schedules before and after school.”

The top two orchestras that will be representing the school and the state of Texas, Symphonic orchestra and Camerata orchestra, have sections and rehearsals on a weekly basis.

Although the orchestras are practicing on a weekly basis, many of the students don’t seem to find it too much trouble.

“Attending Midwest definitely makes things more exciting senior year because a lot of people don’t get the opportunity to travel out of state,” cellist Shanee Lu said. “It’s also very rewarding because you work really hard for it. It can be a burden, but I think that it’s going to be worth it in the end because we’re going to sound really good at Midwest.”

Freshmen are also doing their parts to contribute to the performance.

“It’s a little nerve wracking [to go to Midwest as a freshman],” violist Amelia Leslie said. “We have to practice for about an hour everyday, but it’s worth it because I think it’s going to be a lot of fun. I’m excited.”