• Winter break Dec. 24 - Jan. 7

• First semester ends Dec. 21

• No school Nov. 19-23 for Thanksgiving break

Empty Bowls symbolize empty stomachs

Students+made+empty+bowls+after+school+to+give+back+to+the+community.+
Students made empty bowls after school to give back to the community.

provided by NAHS

provided by NAHS

Melody Tavallaee, Managing Editor

Bowls are nothing more than something to eat out of for most people, but the Empty Bowls project focuses on incorporating them towards giving back to the community and fighting hunger in the area.

“Empty Bowls is to raise awareness for the hunger in our area. The artists create ceramic bowls out of clay and glaze them,” art teacher Pernie Fallon said. “We are supporting two different Empty Bowl fundraising groups. One is Arts in the Square in Frisco and that will be in March and the other one is through McKinney and it will be at the McKinney Performing Arts Center in May.”

The project blends the art of sculpting with community service, providing for a chance to explore new mediums of art while working for a good cause.

“I really like ceramics and I think it’s a really good way to give back while having fun,” junior Lauren Tanghongs said. “I think it raises awareness and many of us are fortunate so we can give back.”

While many school clubs are academically focused, the Empty Bowls project provides students a chance to channel their artistic sides.

“Basically it’s a good volunteer events for people who love art but also want to give back to the community because all the money goes to the food bank,” NAHS officer Jessica Komarovsky said. “I feel like there’s not enough arts activities in our school because a lot of it’s really academically driven so this is a way to get those artsy people involved in part of helping out the community.”

The project allows students to build stronger relationships with others through the art of bowl making.

“We get to work with clay, which is really fun,” Tanghongs said. “And I get to do it at the same time with my friends to promote art around the community.”

Fallon believes the project gives students both skills they will continue to use in the future and a chance to recognize the great impact art can have in the world.

“First of all, I think it’s really important to teach the students to be generous with their time and talent. Second of all, it’s a fun way to use art as a way to raise awareness,” Fallon said. “The students really enjoy this project just from the the experience of getting to make bowls and work with clay and glaze it; they learn the whole process and it’s also just a good way to show how the arts can make a difference in the world and make the world a better place.”

Melody Tavallaee, Managing Editor

Melody Tavallaee is a senior who joined Wingspan during her sophomore year. One of her greatest passions is iced coffee and you can almost always find...