Treats for troops

Student council has set up donation boxes in the rotunda on Wednesday to any unused candy to donate to Treats for Troops.

Kasey Harvey, Editor-in-Chief

While giddy children race around neighborhoods across the world in hopes of filling their basket with candy on Halloween night, the bags of leftover candy will be put to good use by people on campus.

Setting up donation boxes in the rotunda on Wednesday, Student Council is asking students to bring any unused candy to donate. From these donations, candy will be given to the Soldiers’ Angels “Treats for Troops” program to give those soldiers a sweet treat for the Halloween season.

“I’m hoping that there is enough candy to send it to multiple different stations where our troops are,” senior Emily Madden said via text. “You will just bring extra bags from Halloween or Trunk R Treat after [Wednesday] and put it into the boxes in the rotunda.”

Taking an idea from assistant principal Stacey Whaling, Student Council sponsor Julie Anderson is hoping to see a success.

“We hope that students take any leftover candy or even go out and buy candy that’s now discounted severely because Halloween’s essentially over and bring it and share it with our school to give it to the troops,” Anderson said. “We hope that they can find it in their hearts to do something nice for somebody else.”

For student council, the “Treats for Troops” program is a small way to bring the Halloween spirit to soldiers serving America in a foreign country.

“To have something that the entire school can participate in that helps benefit a community of people outside your own community,” senior Madalyn Roehrig said via text. “They don’t get to celebrate halloween because they are away from home to help protect us on a daily basis so this is something simple that we can do to give back and show thanks to them.”