Clocks roll back an hour Sunday

Daylight+saving+time+moves+clocks+back+an+hour+at+2%3A00+a.m.+Sunday%2C+Nov.+4+2018+when+most+of+the+United+States+reverts+to+standard+time.+

Clocks roll back an hour Sunday

Daylight saving time moves clocks back an hour at 2:00 a.m. Sunday, Nov. 4 2018 when most of the United States reverts to standard time.

Dea-Mallika Divi

Dea-Mallika Divi

Dea-Mallika Divi

Lucas Barr, Editor-in-Chief

Some extra shut-eye is on the calendar as daylight saving time ends Sunday at 2 a.m. with clocks moving back an hour, resulting in an additional 60 minutes of sleep for some.

“I think as a senior especially on the past couple weeks I’ve been really busy with college apps and a lot of extracurriculars going on with band,” Edward Chen said. “ I think it’s amazing because it gives us more hours sleep on Sunday for me to be able just relax and be more productive.”

Daylight saving time is observed in approximately 70 countries, leaving hundreds of millions of people around the world to change their clocks twice a year.

However, contrary to a commonly accepted misconception, Benjamin Franklin was not responsible for widespread biannual clock confusion.

“After being unpleasantly stirred from sleep at 6 a.m. by the summer sun, the founding father penned a satirical essay in which he calculated that Parisians, simply by waking up at dawn, could save the modern-day equivalent of $200 million through ‘the economy of using sunshine instead of candles,’” wrote Christopher Klein for history.com. “As a result of this essay, Franklin is often erroneously given the honor of ‘inventing’ daylight saving time, but he only proposed a change in sleep schedules—not the time itself.”

In reality, Englishman William Willett is responsible for promoting time changes to extend the illumination of summer evenings starting in 1905. The idea itself came from New Zealander and etymologist George Vernon Hudson who was a subject of mockery for his sunny proposition.

In the state’s last legislative session in 2017, some state lawmakers such as Rep. Dan Flynn (R-Van), tried to remove the procedure from the Lone Star state last year. 

“I think it’s ridiculous,” state Rep. Dan Flynn, R-Van said in article early this year in the Star-Telegram. “I see no reason to have it.”

Lucas Barr, Editor-in-chief

Lucas Barr is a junior entering his third year of newspaper. After two years as a staff reporter, he is returning as editor-in-chief. He plays the violin,...

Dea-Mallika Divi, Assignment Editor

Dea is a senior who has been doing journalism since her freshman year. She loves movies, reading and listening to music. Her favorite book series is...