As temperatures drop, color guard warms up for new season

Kirthi Gummadi

Kirthi Gummadi, Guest Contributor

Moving from stadium lights and turf to the indoor courts, colorguard makes a change in pace as winterguard kicks off its season with auditions Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday in the Auxiliary gym from 6-8 p.m.

“You meet a lot of really good people and I enjoy the atmosphere because we have fun,” senior Nikki Nwosu said. “The instructors great, he’s really nice and really funny. I’ve done winterguard for the past three years. This is my last year and I’m gonna miss it and it is a lot of fun. I think the benefits outweigh the cons such as like rehearsals, but you know like I said you meet a lot of really nice people, and you’re getting a lot of exercise and activity.”  

Welcoming all students who are willing to participate, students will learn how to spin flags, dance fundamentals and some choreography on Monday and Wednesday with varsity guard auditions on Thursday.

“I really just look for a “can do” kind of attitude, just like people that are willing to try new things,” guard director Eric Mills said. “That’s the biggest thing for me as a, as long as you’re trying and we have a spot for you because it’s going to feel different. It’s going to be weird. You’re going to feel kookie sometimes but it’s about stepping outside of that comfort zone and trying new things. As long as you’re willing to do that, that’s really all I expect and that I look for, for Winterguard.”