Playing up, girls’ basketball takes on 6A teams

Kameron Hoffman

With assistant coach Kristin Lynch closing on her and head coach Ross Reedy also on defense, senior Alyssa Nayar launches a three point shot during a recent practice. The girls’ team is back in action Thursday with two games in the Allen Hoopfest tournament.

Aaron Boehmer, Sports Editor

Continuing in its non-district grind, girls’ basketball takes on 6A schools Tyler Lee at 10:30 a.m. and Allen on Thursday at 1:30 p.m. at Allen High School in the annual Hoopfest hosted by the Eagles.

“We’re excited about the tournament because earlier in the year it’s about playing games and being able to see where we are, and for us to be able to do it against some the best competition again this week,” head girls’ basketball coach Ross Reedy said. “We’re going to play Allen, Wylie and Tyler Lee, all were playoff teams last year and really quality opponents, and we’re excited about that.”

Although playing from Thursday-Saturday may bring fatigue, senior Mara Casey believes the various levels of competition will provide the girls with preparation for season.

“I think one of the more difficult parts of the tournament is playing a lot of games in a short number of days, but we adjust well to this,” Casey said. “The tournament will help us to become a more well rounded team because we’ll get to play against different types of teams, which will help us in the long run.”