Keeping Up with Kanika: kindness is refreshing

From+social+issues+to+stuff+happening+on+campus%2C+senior+Kanika+Kappalayil+provides+her+take+in+this+weekly+column.+

Juleanna Culilap

From social issues to stuff happening on campus, senior Kanika Kappalayil provides her take in this weekly column.

Kanika Kappalayil, Staff Reporter

The other day I was driving with my dad, and he pointed out to me that another driver on the road had graciously given me the opportunity to proceed forward, even though it was technically his turn.

The gesture stuck with me the whole day.

What can I say? I guess I’m a sucker for the small things in life.

No, but really though. Every so often I’d think about the driver’s actions, reflecting on that small, yet to me, clearly significant favor. It had somehow been enough to make my day, constantly replaying itself in my thoughts.

Kindness is refreshing. Especially in a chaotic world that often coerces us into thinking of ourselves only.

Not only that, but kindness is a gift that keeps giving. Observing the positivity that others spread energizes and motivates me to also add to it in my own unique way.

Although the spirit of giving is right around the corner, I challenge you to always seek and spread kindness, regardless of whether it’s holiday season or not.

We’re all human. We all go through the wear and tear of life. Some days are harder than others. And thus, some days we need a little more TLC than others.

Spread good energy. It never hurts to go out of your way to be the type of person this world needs more of.