Work hard, smell nice: Stench fills girls’ locker room

One of the main features of the girls locker room remains its stench. Columnist Ariela Rodrigues goes into possible causes and what needs to be done.

One of the main features of the girl’s locker room remains its stench. Columnist Ariela Rodrigues goes into possible causes and what needs to be done.

Ariela Rodrigues, Guest Contributor

You walk down the hall, and the smell starts to intoxicate your lungs. You dread the moment that you open the door to the chamber of death, but you are required to do so. As you enter, your nose burns and you start to gag. When you think you can’t take it any more, somebody else enters and they luckily have brought forth one of the only weapons that can save you from the stench; a bottle of Febreze. They spray it and you can finally breath normally again.

Every day this scene occurs and sometimes the hero doesn’t bring a bottle of Febreze, so some must endure the main horror of the girls locker room; the stench. Does it come from the bathroom of the locker room? Is it the sweat after working out? Who knows? But whatever it is, it has certain changed the way students react when they change in the locker room.
Sewage pipes have been one of the things that students say they think causes the smell. According to Terry’s Plumbing, sewer pipes should be cleaned every 18-22 months. If sewer odors start to appear that might be a sign that sewer pipes need cleaning. Well, it’s that time.

Another possible cause of the stench: girls can be messy. It’s common to see trash in lockers and around the locker room.

The locker room is not only the school’s responsibility; it’s also the students. With that being said, don’t leave trash around. In addition to that, you shouldn’t leave dirty, sweaty, or unwashed clothes in your lockers. Imagine if every single locker in the locker room was submerged in sweaty clothes. If you don’t want to be smelling that tragedy, then cooperate and pick up after yourself. Girls may not smell on a regular basis but after working out, it becomes an issue.

Also, do not leave trash behind. If one leaves a piece of food behind and lets it stay their rotting, even bigger problems can occur. Just keep your locker clean.
Locker rooms: it’s both the school’s and the student body’s responsibility.