Business as usual on Veterans Day

The Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery registration is open. The window to register is open to Nov. 18, and the test is on Dec. 1.

Czaria Jones

Henry Youtt, Managing Editor

It’s another regular day here on campus and even though Veterans Day is a federal holiday that doesn’t automatically mean a day off as schools have the ability to set their own schedule.

“The district sets our school calendar for the district,” assistant principal Kristen Sommers said. “Lots of things go into that such as, half days and early release days, we have to look at things like busing. Because buses are used for the elementary schools, middle schools, and high schools if everybody gets out early and the times change we have to look at how it affects the other schools as well.”

To help celebrate Veterans Day students were able to donate $1 for a hat pass to allow them to wear hats with money collected going to the Gi Go Fund

For some school faculty members, the day has a more personal meaning as assistant principal Jason Harris was inspired by the biggest terrorist attack on American soil

“I did enlist to serve because 9/11 took place,” Harris said. “It was always something that I had a desire to do. But after 9/11, I felt really motivated to enlist in the military.”