• Winter break Dec. 24 - Jan. 7

• First semester ends Dec. 21

Musical makes a splash in first performance of the year

As the first performance of the year, theater kicked off with the musical Singing in the Rain on Thursday with showtimes until Sunday. Through the detailed scenery and graceful acting, Wingspan's Minuki Medis left the show in awe.

Kylie Strictland

Kylie Strictland

Kylie Strictland

Minuki Medis, WTV Staff Reporter

Amongst the glittering glow of water showering down through colorful lights on stage in the auditorium, the stellar cast of Singing in the Rain shone, shattering all expectations.

Singing in the Rain tells the encaptivating story of silent movie era stars Don Lockwood and Lina Lamont who struggle upon the emergence of “talkies” into the film industry, because Lina has an awful voice. The show begins with the scene of an awards show to project to the audience just how popular these characters are.

There were stunning performances by both Eduardo Borja (playing Don Lockwood) and Donata Bova-Ford (playing Kathy Selden) throughout the play that transported the audience into the love story. Both Borja’s and Bova-Ford’s voices were full of energy and projected vivacious melodies, truly resonating the childlike wonder that enters people’s hearts as they fall in love. Another fan favorite was Jordan Miller’s comedic routine (playing Lina Lamont) of her singing about why Don doesn’t love someone as great as her. The choreography was smooth and stayed true to the style of the era, incorporating flirty flapper dancers, romantic twirls, and a snappy tap performance.

The show is wonderful for everyone, however it insinuates at some more mature romantic concepts and saucy dancers which could be a concern for some families, so its is better suited for 5th grade and up. The show presented a sweet, romantic appeal with easy to love bops to invigorate the interests of the array of age groups. The water showering down on the performers and the puddles that they splashed in on the stage truly added to the experience.

Having attended nearly every school play for the last three years, Singing in the Rain can definitely be applauded as being a stand out due to the professional level of acting, gorgeous melodies sung perfectly on pitch, upbeat and tantalizing dance routines, interactive set design, and the wonderful atmosphere that was enhanced by the pit orchestra.

The performance had audience members falling in love head over heels for this classic story. The only bad thing about the show: the curtain has closed on Singing in the Rain.

Minuki Medis, WTV Staff Reporter

Minuki Medis is a junior, passionately participating in her fourth year of broadcast. She’s typically positive and friendly, and you can usually find...