PTSA holds meeting to promote drug safety on campus

SRO Jerry Varner shared multiple anecdotes from his experience with drugs with the parents.

Henry Youtt

Henry Youtt, Managing Editor

The school’s PTSA held a parent drug informational meeting Wednesday night in the lecture hall. Led by SRO Officer Jerry Varner, parents learned about drugs and drug paraphernalia and staying safe.

Varner educated the parents about various drugs and discussed his role of bridging the gap between police and the community through actively interacting with students.

“This school is such a melting pot,” Varner said. “So much so that these kids that are normally on the straight and narrow come into contact with people who aren’t necessarily.”

Assistant principal Kristen Sommers attended the meeting to provide her insight and experience as a school faculty member as well as a parent.

“My kids spend more time with their teachers per day than they do with me,” Sommers said. “Teachers are often able to more than I do over time, regarding drugs.”

Parents in attendance asked Varner and Sommers questions regarding drug safety on campus and showed interest in learning more.

“It doesn’t matter who you are,” student parent and PTSA President Jenni Montes said. “You can be the smartest student. You could be any color. Whether you’re a boy or a girl it doesn’t matter. If it gets a hold of you, it’s a struggle. And it’s not just painful for the person going through it, it is painful for the whole family.”

Looking forward, Varner hopes to maintain a positive sense of drug safety on campus and continue to educate students.

“I walk the halls and I can tell you that this is a great school regarding drugs and alcohol,” Varner said. “This is by far the best place to be if you’re in high school, and I’m not just saying that because I work here.”