District play begins on a down note

Carter Brock

The boys’ basketball team dropped its district opener, losing 60-59 to the Frisco High School Raccoons on Tuesday night at Frisco High.

Aaron Boehmer, Sports Editor

The boys’ basketball team is probably hoping the rest of the 2018-19 District 9-5A season goes like last year, as for the second straight year, the team dropped its district opener, losing 60-59 to the Frisco High School Raccoons on Tuesday night at Frisco High.

Last year, the team rattled off 13 straight wins after falling it’s opening game against Lone Star.

“I felt that we did some things well, but we have a lot of areas where we need to improve,” head coach Stephen Friar said. “Taking more pride in our defensive mentality and getting stops consistently.”

Trailing 26-22 at the end of the first half, the Redhawks rallied back, tying the score 50-50 at the end of the fourth quarter..

“We played way below our expectations leading into that game,” senior Peyton Harwell said. “Really we just underestimated our opponent. Considering it was the first game of district, I think film will show all the little things that we need to clean up before Friday’s home game against Reedy.”