Cravings satisfied at Roll & Poke

Cravings satisfied at Roll & Poke

Located off of Preston and SH 121, Roll & Poke provides a Native Hawaiian and Japanese experience for residents of Frisco.

Sydney Bishop

Sydney Bishop

Sydney Bishop

Sydney Bishop, Guest Contributor

From the create your own poke bowls, to the delectable, gourmet sushi rolls, Roll & Poke excellently and inexpensively satisfies your craving for these Native Hawaiian and Japanese dishes.

There is a wide array of menu options regarding sushi rolls, and the chef prepares the sushi fresh upon ordering. However the key source of customer appeal is the create-your-own element of the poke bowl menu.

Once you walk in, you have the option to fill out a piece of paper, much formatted like a check list of desired ingredients, to specify exactly what you want in your bowl of poke. Upon completion, the chef assembles your bowl to your liking.

Before delving into the poke, first up was a light appetizer of free miso soup. As you wait for your sushi rolls or poke bowls to be put together, one is welcome to take a dip into the cauldron of free miso soup. The miso was a warm and savory soup with traces of earthy flavor and chunks of tofu. It was just enough to hold one over until the meal was ready.

The following items on the menu were the five piece calamari tempura roll and the eight piece shrimp tempura roll. The prices of both were pleasing, with the calamari tempura totalling $7 and the shrimp tempura being $6.

The shrimp tempura roll included fried shrimp, cucumber, crab meat, avocado, and eel sauce. These ingredients worked together to produce a savory, salty and sweet flavor. There was also a subtle and satisfying crunch of the fried exterior of the shrimp inside of the roll accompanied by the soft and chewy texture of the rice, crab meat and fresh avocado.

Sydney Bishop
Ordering the shrimp tempura roll that included fried shrimp, cucumber, crab meat, avocado, and eel sauce, freshman Sydney Bishop shares her thoughts on one of Frisco’s sushi restaurants off Preston and SH 121.

The calamari tempura roll included fried calamari, cucumber, crab meat, avocado, eel sauce. This roll had less of a sweet flavor and more of a savory, salty taste. The calamari was tender, but the flakey fried breading also provided a crunch similar to that of the shrimp tempura, along with the accompanying soft consistency.

Last but certainly not least, was none other than a custom poke bowl pricing at $9.50. The ingredient list is rather lengthy, but spicy mayo, raw salmon, crab meat, edamame, seaweed salad, and crispy fried onion are the stars.

The distinct flavors of each ingredient gave the bowl a spicy, gingery, and savory taste. The texture was a complex mix of crunchy from the lettuce, ginger and crispy onions and soft from the salmon and white rice. The bowl had a sharp and tangy taste that was enough to make one’s mouth water.

Roll & Poke ensures customer satisfaction, from the freshly prepared sushi, all the way to the client composed poke bowls. These mouth watering cultural dishes are not only inexpensive, but near perfectly prepared and excellent tasting.