Combination concerts brings orchestra and band together

19+orchestra+were+selected+to+the+All-Region+orchestra+with+a+chance+to+earn+All-State+honors+and+perform+in+San+Antonio+in+February.+

19 orchestra were selected to the All-Region orchestra with a chance to earn All-State honors and perform in San Antonio in February.

Prachurjya Shreya, Managing Editor

Band and orchestra are coming together for an All-Region concert on Saturday at 5 p.m. on campus.

Both fine art departments have been practicing for weeks to prepare themselves for the concert.

“They’ve been doing some after school rehearsals with band or during class rehearsals so that they can see how all the parts are fitting together,” assistant orchestra director Victoria Lien said. “Otherwise they practice on their own.”

Band student Edward Chen believes that practice will yield to a smooth concert.

“They give the music usually around a week or two before the concert for all region orchestra,” Chen said. “I’ve just been reading through all the music, practicing it and making sure that all the important parts are down for the concert.”

On the orchestra side, mental preparation helps some students get ready for performing.

“I practice with a metronome and I’m just getting my mindset ready for it,” freshman Jacob Choi said. “And you know, it’s going to be a great experience.”

Band and orchestra hope they raise money by having a good turnout.

“I hope they’ll run smoothly, obviously,” Lien said. “I hope that the audience will enjoy the collaboration and that we will raise a good amount of money so that we can donate that.”

Students have high hopes for the concert.

“I think the concert is going to go really great even though we’ve had to hustle some days,” Chen said. “It’s some of the best players in the region and I think it’s going to go really well.”