Pushing science aside, biology teacher hosting Smash Bros. tournament

Chris Ham

E-sports club members got a small bite of the game Super Smash Bros at their earlier meeting, but they will be able play for longer Friday after school in room C243. There is an entrance fee of $5.

Ian LaPerre, Guest Contributor

Just a week after its release on Nintendo Switch, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is the focus of the esports clubs’ first tournament after school on Friday in C243.

“The goal is for students to just relax and unwind after the end of the week,” club sponsor Chris Ham said. “It’s close to winter break and is just an opportunity for people to meet new people and just play a game together, have some friendly competition and have food and have prizes.”

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is the 5th title in a series of fighting games made by Nintendo. Since the first game came out in 1999, each game has gained a following both casually and competitively.

“I’m glad that the esports club is taking an interest in Smash, especially with the new iteration coming out just this last week,” senior Luke Walls said. “I feel like I’m an above average player, but I will probably end up losing to one of the better players there.”

The entrance fee is $5 with money due to Chris Ham in C243 by today. There will be food available for participants. The winner of the tournament will receive a gift card as a prize.