Say It Louder: new year, lack of change

Whether+its+something+about+school%2C+being+a+student%2C+or+a+social+issue%2C+columnist+Emma+Cramption+tries+to+make+sure+her+message+is+heard+in+her+weekly+column+Say+it+Louder.+

Dea-Mallika Divi

Whether it’s something about school, being a student, or a social issue, columnist Emma Cramption tries to make sure her message is heard in her weekly column “Say it Louder”.

Emma Crampton, Opinion Editor

When the new year rolls around, it never fails that people delude themselves into the mindset that once that clock strikes midnight, their lives are going to change. The truth is, while it’s fun to make goals for the year and celebrate it, it doesn’t actually mean anything unless you act on it.

Toward the end of 2018, I heard multiple people say things like, “I just can’t wait for this year to be over.” But, if you wanted to change, you could do it now. You could do before January 1, after, whenever. When New Year’s Day arrives, however, it doesn’t necessarily mean all your problems will immediately go away.

With any goal, you have to put in work. It has nothing to do with what time of year it is. If you had an idea to improve yourself in, for instance, in the month of May, you wouldn’t think to yourself: I have to wait until 2020 to start it. Time doesn’t relate to anything when it comes to goals.

People are becoming discouraged that their 2019 is terrible so far, but have showed no effort to halt unhealthy habits or improve their situations.

Just because it is a new year does not mean everything will magically be fixed.

The only person who can change your life is you.