Art students face VASE deadline

Students in art class are preparing for the VASE competition in February. On Wednesday, students who wish to compete will know if they are eligible.

Kanz Bitar, Staff Reporter

Wednesday is a big day for art students seeking to compete in the annual VASE competition as art teacher Pernie Fallon will be making decisions on whether or not students will have their work ready in time for the contest deadline on Feb. 16.

“Students have submitted their ideas and art work,” Fallon said. “On [Wednesday] I still have the option of removing them from the contest and if they see that they’re not going to finish their work in time, they can go ahead and withdraw or that’s when they are committed for good and their final work will be turned into me on February the 5th, this way it can be ready for the VASE event on February 16th.”

Senior Jessica Komarovsky has participated in VASE in years past and is excited to get to do it again, with the hope to do better this year.

“It was a lot of fun, I learned a bunch and was very happy to have a place to showcase my work,” Komarovsky said. “I was nervous that the judge wouldn’t like my piece and even though I am more experienced, it is still a concern in the back of my mind. It will be fun, but I am also hoping to do better. Last year I was able to get a score of 3 out 4, but this year, I am hoping to get full marks.”

Other students like Sunyoung Yun, who is doing VASE for the first time this year, are nervous to share her art work with judges whom are going to critique it.

“I’m kind of nervous about sharing my work,” Yun said. “ While I do want to receive critiques, I have to admit explaining my work to someone I just met is a little unnerving. I am very honored tho to have the opportunity to put my name out there and since liberty hasn’t had a gold seal in a while I hope that I can break that.”

Beyond competing, Yun is looking forward to seeing new art.

“I’m really excited to see a lot of good art from students who are at the same stage as I am,” she said. “I’m also looking forward to the critiques and conversations I’d be having with the VASE Judges who have experience in the field I’m hoping to pursue.”