ISM students in the spotlight at The Star

Abby Wang, Guest Contributor

52 ISM students from campus, along with hundreds more from other Frisco ISD schools, are going to be sharing their progress at Wednesday’s ISM Research Showcase from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. at the Ford Center at The Star.

“The showcase  is really a chance for the students to showcase their first semester work,” ISM teacher Karene Goff said. “For the community to see the gravity of this program and what the students have done related to research, their original works and the mentors are able to be there as well.”

The research showcase gives students a chance to present their work thus far while also drawing inspiration from what others have done.

“For me this is a way that I can see what I’ve accomplished this semester,” junior Ayda Sow said. “Going and seeing other people and how much work they have done and being in an environment with so many passionate people is very inspiring.”

But beyond the confines of the showcase and the class, ISM students are picking up skills that may help them for years to come.

“I can’t tell you how much this class benefits students,” Goff said. “My students come back and tell me that this class prepared them for college more than any other class in the sense of taking risk, putting themselves out there, and knowing how to network. It just continues to open doors for them that might not have been open otherwise.”