No one hurt after student’s truck flips

The truck of senior Gunter Hawk sits on its side against the street light at Independence and 121 after an accident flipped it over on its side.

Jay Schlaegel

Jay Schlaegel, Assignment Editor

Rain and wet roadways Monday morning made driving conditions a bit hazardous for some as senior Gunter Hawk flipped his car making a food run to Chick-Fil-A before school.

A Frisco fireman checks out the accident scene at 121 and Independence.
Gunter Hawk

“I was turning left, eastbound, onto 121 from Independence,” Hawk said. “As I turned, I had plenty of room between me and the next car, I hydroplaned and my back end fishtailed and I was skidding on the ground because it was wet. I finally got enough traction to go and as I got about halfway out of the intersection, a car clipped my back end and I spun. My back left tire hit the curb and flipped the car.”

The contact with the curb combined with the force of the tailspin was enough to flip the vehicle and put Hawk an airbag away from the ground.

“I was more worried about if the other person was okay because I was okay after I realized I was fine,” Hawk said. “The driver side door airbag deployed so I was pretty much good.”

Hawk was wearing his seatbelt and the truck’s airbags deployed properly allowing him to walk away with nothing more than a few scrapes and bruises.

The back end of Gunter Hawk's truck was heavily damaged as a result of the accident.
Gunter Hawk

“I learned that safety is important when you buy a car,” Hawk said. “I was wearing a seatbelt which, if I wouldn’t have been I might’ve gone through the windshield of the car and that would’ve been much worse.”