Super Blood Wolf Moon on the rise

Sundays+total+lunar+eclipse+is+the+only+one+of+2019+and+will+combine+several+elements+to+make+it+a+Super+Blood+Wolf+moon.+To+give+students+and+staff+a+better+chance+to+see+and+understand+what+is+happening%2C+the+astronomy+club+is+hosting+a+stargazing+party+Sunday+in+the+front+parking+lot+from+9-11+p.m.+

Fernando de Gorocica from Wikimedia Commons

Sunday’s total lunar eclipse is the only one of 2019 and will combine several elements to make it a Super Blood Wolf moon. To give students and staff a better chance to see and understand what is happening, the astronomy club is hosting a stargazing party Sunday in the front parking lot from 9-11 p.m.

Ian LaPerre, Guest Contributor

Gazing at the sky is on the schedule for the Astronomy Club and invited guests Sunday night from 9-11 p.m. in the front parking lot for a Stargazing Party to view the Super Blood Wolf Moon total lunar eclipse.

“We’ll have some telescopes out so we can take a look at the moon as the eclipse is happening. We will be able to take a look at other constellations,” Astronomy teacher Kenric Davies said. “I’ll bring out a green laser. A green laser is really cool to point out things in the sky, it’s something very visible.”

Sunday’s celestial event will feature several different elements with the next total lunar eclipse not happening until May 2021.

“I actually think this is interesting because I never saw a red moon,” junior Jakub Barbachowski said. “I’m gonna take a few friends, hangout, it’s another reason not to go home and be up all night. I know a little bit about astronomy like elementary and middle school level.”

Although the maximum eclipse will not happen until 12:12 a.m. Monday morning, students may also be able to see other planets and the Pleiades star cluster.

“I think it’s important to know what’s going on in the sky,” Davies said. “For students in Astronomy, this is a way to actually experience the stuff that we’re talking about. And it’s kind of a fun event, so we decided to open up to the school. I hope people come out and have a new appreciation for the sky and just have a good time.”