Redhawk soccer falls victim to Lions

Aaron Boehmer, Sports Editor

• With another victory under their belt, boys and girls soccer return from their match up with Celina ending 6-0, proving the Redhawks boys and girls the clear champions of the evening. Looking forward to a successful season, both teams look to make improvements in their game and keep the victories coming.

• Watching boys’ soccer go against the Reedy Lions, parents and fans sit in the stands as they cheer on the Redhawks on Friday, Jan. 18.

• Sophomore Vishwa Pandian stands amongst Reedy defender on the sideline awaiting the continuation of the game on Friday, Jan. 18.

• Kicking from the sidelines, sophomore Mason Cacurak moves the ball in hopes of bypassing the Reedy Lion defenders on Friday, Jan. 18.

• While boys’ soccer battles against the Lions on the field, Redhawks teammates watch from the bench on Friday, Jan. 18.

• With the end of the regular season and the beginning of the playoffs suspended through at least March 29, both the boys’ and girls’ soccer teams are transitioning to individual workouts. Although the UIL has only suspended athletic contests through March 29, Frisco ISD has suspended in-person classes through April 3.

• Due to thunderstorms Friday the girls’ and boys’ soccer game was rescheduled to Monday night against the Memorial Warriors with the girls starting at 7 p.m. and the boys at 7:30 p.m.

The Redhawk soccer program is still looking for their first District 9-5A win after both varsity teams fell to the Reedy Lions on Friday, with the girls losing at home 1-0 while the boys’ team lost at Reedy 4-1.

“Like several of our games thus far, there were definite highs and lows,” girls’ head coach Elizabeth Mokler said via email. “Started second half much stronger; we need to start and end that way as well.”

In hopes of helping the team find success this season, Mokler is reminding the girls to play for their team and not just themselves.

“[Need to focus] on being a team and all that that encompasses,” Mokler said via email. “Keeping things in the order of team, teammate, self, and focusing on the positives instead of dwelling on the negatives.”

Senior Andrea Chladny believes the Redhawks’ mentality faltered after being scored on in the first half of the game.

“I thought that we were the better team, however when Reedy scored, the team’s mentality cost us the game,” Chladny said. “I think that the team could improve on combining and making more successful plays at the goal. We perform well in getting the ball on the ground and playing to feet.”

Similar themes echo for boys’ head coach Fred Kaiser as the team looks for their first district win.

“We did some things well, but we made a lot of mistakes that cost us; our focus for the game was watching our backside, defending which we did but it was kind of at the cost of some other things that we need to work on as well,” Kaiser said. “So transitioning back and forth well we’ll work on it but, I was I was pretty happy with the backside defending because that’s something that we struggle with all season. So we seem to have a hold on that and now we just need to make sure we’re doing everything we need to be doing.”

Senior and captain CJ Nelson believes if the team would play faster and simpler, they would become more successful.

“I felt like we were just trying to do too much and not playing as we normally do,” Nelson said. “We could improve on quicker transitions in the midfield and put more balls into the box.”