Youth & Government gets a financial assist from YMCA

Day+one+of+the+Youth+and+Government+kicks+off+in+Austin%2C+Texas.+The+opening+ceremony+featured+Lieutenant+Governor+of+the+Texas+Youth%2C+Chris+Tian+from+campus.+

Lucas Barr

Day one of the Youth and Government kicks off in Austin, Texas. The opening ceremony featured Lieutenant Governor of the Texas Youth, Chris Tian from campus.

Trisha Dasgupta, Guest Contributor

Debating bills they wrote, the school’s Youth and Government delegates are competing in the Youth and Government State Conference in Austin Thursday through Sunday with several of the students receiving scholarships from the Plano YMCA.

“I was very excited because it was cool to get some money from the YMCA,” freshmen Aleeza Hussain said. “I think it will be a fun experience and it will help me grow and learn and learn as a debater.”

The scholarships ranged from $50 to $150 and were given based on merit and participation.

Hussain is heading to her first state conference for Youth and Government, after winning a distinguished delegate award in this year’s annual district conference.

“It really helped me gain confidence and reassure myself,” she said. “It made me more prepared for state and helped me realise how state would be.”

This sentiment was shared by freshmen and fellow scholarship recipient Sanjana Dandu, who believes that students shouldn’t let expenses stop them from competing.

“Competitions are really fun and interesting and it’s something that I’m passionate about,” Dandu said. “If money is an issue for you but you’re passionate and work hard then don’t worry too much because there are scholarships that are available.”

Although not all students received money, the opportunity to compete is a valuable experience.

“I know it helps a lot of kids get the opportunity to go and debate at the Capitol which is a really great experience as high school student.” senior Amer Jusupovic said.