Frisco Rail District features charming taco shop

Featuring chips and salsa from Mariana's Taco Shop located in Frisco's Rail District, Wingspan's Ian LaPerre gives his thoughts on one of Frisco's taco hotspots.

Ian LaPerre

Ian LaPerre

Ian LaPerre

Ian LaPerre, Guest Contributor

When people are craving tacos, they often immediately think of going to Taco Bell, or some other chain restaurant with quick service and cheap prices. However, for similar prices, but better food, you can get authentic Mexican food at Mariana’s Taco Shop.

Located in Frisco’s Rail District, Mariana’s humble outward appearance adds a charming appeal to the place. Walking to the small shack that is the restaurant, you are greeted by several tables with colorful umbrellas outside the restaurant, the dining area. The menu includes all kinds of Mexican cuisine, including breakfast and weekend specials. Drink choices include normal sodas and water, as well as the classic Mexican soda Jarritos.

Of the several menu options available at Mariana’s, the Hell Billy burrito, a soft chorizo taco, and the California burrito were the choices for today. The burritos were huge, easily surpassing the size of any burrito eaten elsewhere.

The Hell Billy had ground beef, rice, cheese, grilled onions, cilantro and sour cream. The rice had an authentic Mexican taste, and the beef and everything else was perfectly prepared and delicious. The soft chorizo taco, which had chorizo, cilantro, onions and lime, was also good, though it was hard to eat without a ton of the ingredients falling out.

The California burrito had Carne Asada, french fries, cheese, sour cream, pico de gallo and guacamole in it. It was very good, you could taste all of the flavors in the burrito that all meshed together and really felt like something from California.

These dishes were all authentic just as Mariana’s advertises, and were all under $10, similar to the price of Taco Bell and other chains. Even better, every Tuesday is Taco Tuesday, where tacos are only $1, so if you’re craving a good taco on Tuesday, this is the place to go.