Parents and students get preview of advanced academics

Roy Nitzan and

• This was the agenda slide on the powerpoint for FISD’s advanced academic slide. This helped the parents to know what to expect and listen for during the presentations.

• Ms.Jenna Gates was handing out these flyers as the parents walked into the auditorium for FISDs advanced academic night. FISD annual advanced academic night is a night held for firscos parent and students who are ahead of their grade academically. It helps the parents and student know how to proceed in the upcoming school year.

• People listen intently to everything the speaker has to say. This picture was taken at FISD advanced academic night. This night is designed for parents and students to know what courses there kids should take in the upcoming school year.

• Parents and students were on hand Monday night at Independence High School for the first of two Advanced Academic Nights in which a variety of courses were explained.

• This slide was used at FISDs advanced academic night to give a visual representation of the different math pathways a student can take. At Independence parents came to learn what causes their children should take in the upcoming school year.

With students in the process of signing up for next year’s classes, Frisco ISD hosted the first of two advanced academic nights Monday at Independence High School.

Open to students from 5th to 11th grade, and their parents, the hour long informational session provided parents with details on the different classes students can take ranging from pre-ap to IB.

The school district offers dozens of pre-ap and AP classes for students to choose from and the advanced academic nights are designed to help students and parents decide what the best options are.

The head speaker at the event last night was ISM mentor Srikrishna Chetty who expressed that it isn’t just about ap classes

“I’m hoping parents took away the idea of balance for their kids,” Chetty said. “I think we’ve had a little bit of a push for our kids to just take them all and the hope is that they recognize that it is important to take AP classes and its important to challenge yourself but also important to do things you’re passionate about, that its a good idea to have a balance of all of those things.”

There is a second informational session Tuesday at Memorial High School from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.

Although general discussions on different classes are part of the night, information on CTE classes will be presented at the CTE Center open house night on Feb. 5.

A month later on March 5, information about dual credit will be provided on campus.