Sneak peek at high school

Current 8th graders were invited to campus Wednesday from 6-8 p.m.

Sneak peek at high school

Current 8th graders that will be attending Liberty next year will be coming to campus to get a sneak peak of high school life. The Rising Freshman Night is taking place from 6-8 p.m.

Melody Tavallaee

Melody Tavallaee

Melody Tavallaee

Allison Lynn, Guest Contributor

Current eighth graders have the chance to get a feel for what high school has to get offer at Wednesday’s Rising Freshman Night from 6-8 p.m.

“If I hadn’t have gone to the incoming freshman night, I would’ve been scared to walk into school on the first day,” freshman Payton Kutcher said. “I would’ve been nervous about going to a new school and having new classes.”

It’s common for students to be nervous to start high school, but having an early orientation night can be a helpful resource.

“I am also nervous to go to a new school because I don’t know my way around,” eighth grader Megan Lynn said. “I think the freshman night will make me feel more calm and relaxed because I’ll know what’s about to happen.”

Rising Freshman Night features academic programs, clubs, and organizations set up at tables in the rotunda and hallway to help students choose their schedules next year based on their interests.

“Parents and students who are in eighth grade right now, who are about to come to Liberty can kind of go around and visit the tables and listen to teachers talk about what the classes are like,” freshman teacher Kristen Newton said. “They can ask any questions they have so that they can try to figure out their schedules for next year.”

Eighth graders around the district are beginning to fill out their schedules for high school and to help them get an idea of what to expect, each high school is hosting a rising freshman night.

Rising freshman night gives 8th graders the opportunity to visit Liberty High School,” lead counselor Stephanie Mueller said. “It’s the first time really coming to campus. So we try and welcome them, we have a 30 minute, kind of informational session for parents and then we open up the cafeteria and every subject area you can imagine has its own space to answer questions. All the coaches are here, band directors, orchestra, dance, theater, choir, everybody is here to answer questions.”

While students are the ones who will be walking the halls and picking classes, some parents might feel more nervous about high school than they are.

“My parents are very nervous because I’m going to a new school and it’s different,” Lynn said. “They are often worried about the new school, the counselors, and new teachers. I think this meeting will help them feel more prepared and ready for me to go to high school.”

Designed for rising freshman, Tuesday’s also allows teachers to get a jump start on the 2019-20 school year.

“I think it’s helpful for teachers because we can get information out to students before they even get here so that people aren’t just randomly choosing a class,” Newton said. “It helps us get kids in our class who actually want to be there and want to learn the stuff that we’re trying to teach.”

About the Photographer
Melody Tavallaee, Managing Editor

Melody Tavallaee is a senior who joined Wingspan during her sophomore year. One of her greatest passions is iced coffee and you can almost always find...