Booking time for independent reading

Kasey Harvey

Students in Humanities are reading well known books The Odyssey and Beowulf to broaden their knowledge in literature. It’s a shift from reading typical traditional classic English books.

Ashika Deshpande, Guest Contributor

Walking into class, and seeing the agenda with a long list of assignments to get done is dreaded by many students. Starting English class by jumping straight to the lesson isn’t as motivating or fun, but having 10 minutes to do some independent reading is less irritating and relaxing. Many English classes start off by having a little conversation and beginning the day’s work right away, and students don’t get a chance to put themselves in the mood to work.

Having class time to read enhances students’ focus and memory. Working out your brain improves its ability to be productive and attentive. When you’re reading, your brain takes time to think and process, and you will be more observant.

For some students that don’t read as much or don’t like to read, making independent reading mandatory during class time nudges them to explore different topics and form interest. This gives students chance to a know what they like and what they might want to do with their future.

Most teachers don’t promote independent reading in class because it takes up too much of class time. But if teachers encourage independent reading in class and show students how important it really is, this can motivate them to read at home too.

To make time for reading, adjust the schedule for the school curriculum and talk to teachers that do promote independent reading during class to find out how they assimilate it into class time.

Once reading is often done at school, students might even incorporate it in their lives after school. It’s important to read whenever possible because it not only improves your vocabulary, but even prevents diseases since it stimulates brain power.

Whatever way it’s looked at, reading even for a couple minutes everyday, is beneficial.