Keeping up with Kanika: search for the highs amidst your lows

From+social+issues+to+stuff+happening+on+campus%2C+senior+Kanika+Kappalayil+provides+her+take+in+this+weekly+column.+

From social issues to stuff happening on campus, senior Kanika Kappalayil provides her take in this weekly column.

Juleanna Culilap

Juleanna Culilap

Juleanna Culilap

Kanika Kappalayil, Staff Reporter

Little victories are important. Learn to acknowledge them.

Admittedly, sometimes I feel beat down. Like nothing’s going right. Maybe I’m having a streak of bad luck, or perhaps that week isn’t my best week.

In those times, it’s easy and almost inevitable to feel like you’re not doing enough and simply not feeling good enough.

What helps even the slightest bit during those rough patches is self-affirmation and acknowledgment of the small things.

What did you do right? Did you manage to make your bed that day? Did you study for that test you were dreading even if you didn’t do as well as you’d thought? Did you make someone’s day?

Acknowledging the little things doesn’t make you pathetic or reaching for validation. We all need to boost ourselves when we’re stuck in a rut.

Search for the highs amidst your lows. You don’t always need to meet sky high expectations, however. And you don’t need to shame yourself for sometimes only being able to accomplish the bare minimum.

Be the person you need for yourself.