Keeping up with Kanika: appreciate friends on Valentine’s Day

From+social+issues+to+stuff+happening+on+campus%2C+senior+Kanika+Kappalayil+provides+her+take+in+this+weekly+column.+

Juleanna Culilap

From social issues to stuff happening on campus, senior Kanika Kappalayil provides her take in this weekly column.

Kanika Kappalayil, Staff Reporter

Galentine’s Day.

Popularized by Leslie Knope, the nation’s most beloved Deputy Director from arguably one of the best TV shows to be made (Parks And Recreation), Feb. 13 has gone from just any ordinary day preceding Valentine’s Day to a day of celebrating female solidarity, and I’m here for it.

The concept behind Galentine’s Day warms my heart. It’s essentially a special time to commemorate your female friendships and serves as a special reminder of how much value they add to your life.

For me, this year, I feel like I’ve particularly flourished as a person due to the support and loyalty of the special ladies in my life.

My friends, whom I consider sisters really, have continuously been my biggest cheerleaders and supporters. They’ve experienced pretty much every up and down in my life with me and been voices of reason when I overthink and doubt myself.

They’re uplifting and bring out the best in me, and I can’t begin to think how lucky I am to have that, living in a society that often puts females against each other and forces us to compete against one another.

Obviously, as with any holiday celebrating the loved ones in your life, my girlfriends deserve all the love, support, and appreciation in my life. I don’t need an unofficial holiday to express my admiration for them, but it does provide a great excuse to convey how grateful I am to have them in my life.