DECA students compete at state down in Dallas

Dea-Mallika Divi

Redhawk seniors upon arriving in Dallas for the annual Texas state DECA conference. Students compete in a variety of career and business themed competitions with hopes of advancing to the international conference.

Aliza Porter, Assignment Editor

22 DECA students are in downtown Dallas through Saturday for the Texas DECA State Career Development Conference where they are competing dozens of different events.

“I feel like it’s a great experience,” DECA co-sponsor, science teacher Kristen Newton said. “The real world experiences [students] are getting in these competitions is invaluable and [they] get to meet so many people which is always awesome and helpful to make [them] a more well-rounded person.”

Since advancing to state, the students have been preparing in categories such as marketing, finance, hospitality, and management.

“Over the weekend, when I had time, I looked up the performance indicators and I studied from a textbook based on my event,” junior Judi Zhou said. “I just hope to do my best so that I don’t have regrets on how I did during the role plays, and then other than that, if I don’t make it, it’s fine.”

Saturday is the closing ceremony and it’s when DECA students find out who advances to the International Career Development Conference in Orlando April 27-30, 2019.

“I’m looking forward to seeing many of [them] going to ICDC,” DECA co-sponsor, Spanish teacher Patricia Flores said. “It’s wonderful because [students] can network and just get to know other people.”